Postonja, Caves and Castle - 14 July

We had to leave early to catch a train to Postonja. We were going to see the famous caves and a very old castle that was built into the side of a cliff. We ran very fast to catch our train and just made it in time. My body was so boiling that I felt like I was steaming.


While getting our tickets I saw a big cuddly dragon and I wanted to go and give him a high-five and get a photo taken with it. We joined the long queue and entered the cave at 12.30. When I found out we would be travelling through the cave on a train I was very excited! The train carriages had a bar that came down over your lap which made it seem a bit like a rollercoaster. It just didn’t go nearly as fast!





On our way in I saw stalactites hanging from the roof of the cave, and stalagmites sticking up from the floor, and sometimes they join together to form pillars. They grow so slowly they only grow 1mm every hundred years.

The caves were freezing cold but luckily we brought our jerseys with us. I found them very very impressive. We travelled for 2km through the caves on the train, before walking with our tour guide for 1km. The tour guide was funny and told us lots of facts about the caves. For instance, the caves were discovered just over 200 years ago in 1818. They were carved out by a river cutting through the rocks millions of years ago. It still flows today, but it has now dropped 60 metres lower.




It was very interesting. One of the chambers has the formation of spaghetti on the walls and one rock looked like a rooster!

After all I did get a photo taken with the dragon and gave him a really big high five before heading off to the castle built into the cliff.



On our way into the castle we were given an audio guide to help us learn the history of the castle and what the rooms were used for. Every room was very interesting. I liked the dining room because it looked like a nice place to be in.



Behind the main castle was a cave. I liked it because it was dark, cold and creepy with patches of algae everywhere.




I liked looking around the kitchen area and also the weapons in the shop.



There was a weapon called a “morning star”. It had a handle with a chain and metal ball with spikes on it. It was used in the morning after a battle when they found wounded enemy soldiers and they would use the morning star to hit them and finish them off.

Today has been fun and exhausting.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update Amelia. Sounds like a very interesting day. Take care. The Bodsters xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Did dad and mum tell you about my trip to the caves ??
    I also loved the castle. Great view

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nose Bleed on a Train - 14 June

Flight to Athens! - 27 June

Bike Ride & Tapas (Valencia) - 5 June